Monday, June 18, 2012

Have you ever seen this before?


In between all the painting I'm doing, I needed to do something fairly easy and relaxing stuff.  I've been thinking of doing this for a long time but did never do anything about it. Now was the right time so I jumped to it.
Actually I once saw this done 30 years ago. A friend of mine was going to be married and her twin brother made the couple a piece like this of the two of them. Since then I have been thinking of trying it myself.

I think this idea can be used in several different ways, I am going to make our son a special gift for his birthday towards the end of the month. I'll use a photo of him from his babydays and one from the kindergarden.  That could be nice I think.
Anyone who remember these two faces I made a year ago? They will be my testing objects.


What I did was this : I cut the two faces into equal pieces, width 4 cms. and hight 24 cms. and glued them onto a sturdy sheet. It's important to notice that their eyes are at the same hight. Glue down and let dry. Fold your work like an accordion ( I did this with my papercutter, after I had changed the cutting tool with one that doesn't cut and before I glued the pieces onto the sheet.) and fasten to a new sturdy sheet. Be accurate,  Each of my pieces are 4 cms wide, so I felt it suited to glue every downpointing foldtip 6 cms apart.  Many of you don't operate using cms. Use your own unit of measurement but make a test (copy your photos) first to be sure of getting a good result. Was this understandable? Feel free to ask.

Below you see how it should look, seeing it from the top.


  If you see the result right in front, it looks like this.




If we move to the left, this is what happens.



 Go to the right and the other face will show. Yay, it works....how cool is that! It's so fun to pass it and see it change from one image to another. This would be the perfect artpiece in a long hallway.


This was something I made just to test the idea. Imagine you knew the persons, and if they both were looking a bit towards the middle of the work. That would give the impression that they were looking at each other. I think perhaps black and white photos would be even better if people are the motives.
What do you think? Siblings, Me and Handyman, Sweethearts, your pets or perhaps a couple of artpieces that would mix perfectly together.
 The opportuneties are endless, and I would love to see what you create if you try it.

It's difficult to photograph a piece like this one. You know, there's only one angle that shows the perfect image and you'll need a bit space to move on, to see it. To see it in person is quite another thing. It was fun to make it and it's easy if one are accurate from the start.

There you are, go ahead and try making your own piece.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a really neat idea - can't wait to see what you do with the picture for your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to amaze me.

    I'm almost finished with your piece. I'll have it in the mail soon.

    ReplyDelete