Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Lets face it.

SOC 4 week 2

I drew this face a year ago for another project I did, I like it and traced it to use it over again. It is quite a challenge to paint using just a couple of colors. Although I have lots of colors, I couldn't find one single color named coral, so I had to mix two colors to get a coral one.


This has turned out to be an excellent practice of colormixing for me. The palest areas have lots and lots of water mixed into the color to tone it down. The coral and teal makes a brilliant grey to shade with, so that was an easy task.
Her grey hair area is made using the mix of coral and teal and on top I've used white ink. I've wanted to try doodling on top of a face for a long time, and now, I've done it. It feels a bit odd, but makes the face look very special.
Colors used are Neocolors 2, Malachite green, Salmon pink and Raspberry red. In addition I used white ink and my black Micron pen.
A big thank you to Kristin for hosting this fun event, and also a big thank you to all of you who visited and left your supportive comments. It's so much fun to read them all, and much appreciated.

28 comments:

  1. This is so funky! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing, all the patterns on the face and hair and spectacles are so original and different. Is he an alien, maybe? - it's a terrific face. Good colour mixing too. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this with all the doodling! Great job with the challenge colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laila. I like your style of painting. Awesome use of the colors.
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great piece. I had to mix my paint to get coral too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!!! This is amazing!!!! I love this.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW that is rather snazzy. BJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. this turned out wonderful and fun Laila!

    I agree, it is a bit challenging to use 3 colors. A good challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How clever Laila to revisit an old piece of art work and revamp and adapt to make something new and exciting. A very striking face and super use of the colour theme

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the detail in this, great piece :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super detail in your piece. Fab. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funky face! I love it and the color combination works beautifully. I really like your work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome, I love the glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this and love the doodle aspect! It reminds me if David Bowie in his ziggy stardust phase for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMGoodness this is fantastic! I can honestly say I've never seen art like his before. You are super talented.
    Thank you so much for coming by my blog and Ooh, I would love to see what you do with some stamping Laila :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful doodling, reminds me of a very young David Bowie :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this, the face is so exciting! I had to mix colours, too, and things like that are always good to earn something! Great SOC piece. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous take on this challenge. I love her face! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just awesome! It has a "techno" look to me, almost robotic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very unique and very interesting artwork - good job with the SOC colors!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful entry. I was most impressed by the way you mixed the colors. I used inks and used what I had, which included a dark yellow and a bit of magenta. Sounds like we were on the same track, although I much prefer your coral, which seems truer to form. Brilliant color mixing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. She is amazing! Very androgynous and super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful and interesting creation Laila, a fab take on this week's colour combo...Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  24. wowness...she is visually entrancing!! She is magical..cosmic ....and futuristic...she also reminds me of a female David Bowie!! Unique and intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow! what a unique piece! yes David Bowie, I agree! wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very nice! Awesome piece using the coral and teal! I think David Bowie is a ringer for your picture! Vickie

    ReplyDelete