Friday, June 27, 2014

Gone fishing

Gone fishing, Chris Rea, beautiful song.

There's something wonderful about researching for a job one is going to do. I had a good time searching the internet for trouts, colors and how the water is colored. I found lots of stuff to work from, and now I feel I know a bit more about the topic than before.
I sat down and sketched some fishes, still not sure whether to paint one fish or several, on my piece. The biting one is my favorite, so that one has to be painted. I even painted one of my sketches, on sketching paper, just to try out some colors.


I found I would like to make a test, just to see if I really could do it, and get a fairly good result. I used a 100% cotton watercolor paper, and that is the best I've ever paint on. It was so easy to get the transitions smooth and good. At one stage, my piece looked like the one below. It has changed a bit, but this is a good close up.


This is the paper pad. Best ever for me.


Here I'm done, I can see things to change but the wide open mouth is done deliberately. I want people to know that when I'm fishing, all the fishes are lined up ready to bite my hook. LOL.


This photo is very close to my original painting, the colors that is. Mostly I've used flat watercolors, but I've been glazing using Twinkling H2O's. In a certain angle the fish is glittering like it's wet and fresh out of the water. Egyptian Gold, Chestnut Brown and Iscicles are used for glazing.


Let me end by saying thank you all for your lovely comments and visits, it warms my heart ans thrills me to read your words. Enjoy your summer and have a lovely weekend!

I'll link this post to Friday Sketches and Paint Party Friday.

17 comments:

  1. Love your fish, beautifully done! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful fish! I think with watercolours it can make an immense difference what kind of paper you use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece is so good, you've captured that fish beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fish are beautiful! They look perfect! The colors you used looked great and flow really nice. I've never used that kind of paper but I know what you mean about it definitely making a difference. Maybe I will try that kind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow....its beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fish are wonderful Laila. I see a different style emerging here - how exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leila, I am a flyfisher and almost all the time for trout. My husband, avid to the max, died recently and left me with a houseful of stuffed fish on the wall, original watercolors of trout, and many prints of trout - brown, rainbow, etc. I think your painting is wonderful. You did a great job of proportions, color and all. I have never been able to paint or draw fish. I wish I could.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one beautifully drawn and painted fish! Although I can't see the shimmer of the twinks I can just imagine it. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome work on your fish. Sometimes I wonder how the poor fish feel when they grab the lure and get stuck. Oh my how that must hurt. I also feel for the lobster and how they cut them up "alive." Wow. Never the less your work is great. Don't mind me and my rambling, tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your fishies! The shapes and the colors are perfectly done! It's such a pleasure to watch them for some time even if they do not move because they are only illustration. They look like real living fishies :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your trout is amazing! This would make an excellent print for a Father's day or men's birthday card. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely detail and such a beautiful background. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful job on the trout. Any kind of trout art are huge sellers here in the Pacific and Inland Northwest. Well done you truly captured the feel of the fish.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  14. Impressive work! I love the evolution of this trout and how it pops right off the page!! Good idea getting the sparkle with the twinkling h20's'

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete