Friday, March 16, 2018

Preparations

Once in a while I like to paint a larger piece

and in those cases I find it very useful to research my subject.



I always try to find the right lines or the most typical movement of my subject. As you see this time it's all about magpies. I really love this bird, and I have 4 or 5 of them in my garden on a daily basis. They're much fun to watch but they can be rather mean to one another.

At this point I have no clear idea of how I want my new piece to be, the composition, I'm just playing with lines and movements until I get a feel of it all. It's also very useful to try different colors so that I can find what I'm searching. How do you approach a new larger painting?


I'm always surprised of the white color, nearly every time it's in use it's every other color than white that bring the eye to see white. Think of a white flower, how is it we paint  the white??
Oh, how I love working with colors, always so much to learn and to understand. My Neocolors have become my favorites, for the longest time I've preferred the twinks but now it's changed.


How do you like the greedy one? I so fell for this one, photo from Steve Lyddon, PMP, it just HAS to be the main focus in my piece.
To my great joy I discovered that a pair of magpies are nesting in one of our apple trees, I hope they will stay there and hopefully get fledglings. That would be great fun.

I have to thank you all for all your well wishes last week, I'm still coughing like crazy. This flue is said to last at least 5 weeks, so well, one week down.

Linking to PPF. Have a nice week, friends!

20 comments:

  1. Your magpie is fabulous. We have a lot of them here, and I love the way they strut around. The magpies and crows make a lot of noise, but I still like them. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Laila and thanks for the kind comment! I also take time to get some movement in collages and other works of mine. The whole thing as wakes up... You've succeeded with all your wonderful magpies. I'm eager to see more...
    Happy PPF and weekend! Hope you get better day after day xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am scared of nappies ....they are swooping birds and we after have signs up in our lical area to beware of the magpies....but that's only when they are nesting...they are pretty majestic in flight...lovely work on you painted one...x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know that I have ever seen a magpie in real life. Your paintings are wonderful, and you've gotten the image so expertly. I love the last one where he's picking over his loot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Magpies too. We don't have any here on the Oregon coast. Your paintings are awesome. I like all of them but the last one is my fave. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love watching birds and would so love to see a magpie, maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful birds! These are so nicely painted and they look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marvelous magpie illustrations! I do like watching them but yes, I have seen them get mean too and that's when I chase them away. Get well soon, and happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous magpie art! Love the expression on the first one! What's he saying I wonder? Oh and that flu/cold is ruthless. Feel better soon...the cough is relentless...take care!

    Peace Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful magpies! Fun way to prepare for a painting :-) Hope your cough won't stay for five weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE these magpies! They reflect their cheeky attitude! We have them a lot on our deck, and they don't like to be photographed...dash off when they see me in the house reaching for my camera! :-) But I catch them occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the magpies, we got a lot of them too :) Nice to see your art

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful done magpies ~ lovely work!

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh Magpies and I have a love-hate relationship. I love to listen to them, they love to attack me! Can't wait to see more though. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your bird come to life in your paintings Liala
    Thanks for dropping by my blog this week

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  16. You captured the magpies! I especially like the details in the first image! You can feel the feathers. Nice!
    ~Irene

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh no, sorry to hear you are under the weather! Magpies seem like they would be a lot of fun to be around, but I would hate to watch them be mean to each other! I think you've captured their personalities wonderfully, especially the last one eating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a plucky fellow! I'd like to meet him, I think. Wonderful paintings!

    ReplyDelete