Friday, June 26, 2015

Time is coming too fast, I think.

This last week in class,

Tracey suggested to me to just have a play with my colors without even thinking of the end result. I did that and had lots of fun and at the same time I felt much more free in the process. Somewhere along the play, I figured out I would do three of the same and make them different, and that's a great way to learn. I'm glad I did this and I'll try to remember doing it on a more regular basics. The dream would be to feel this free and loose in all my work.


Even though this is a painting class, I've been concentrating on the line work. I so much admire Tracey's artwork, and especially her line work. That's her signature, so to speak.  So, during the class I have made lines, over and over again, on old paintings, on new ones and used the dip pen on it's own to draw and make lines. I want to have my own lines, not just outlining or copying someone else. Below is a small collection of what I have been doing, and kept. Much, much, much more is already in the bin.


One of the things I did is this pear. I did exaggerate (on purpose) the lines in every way, and I love the result. If I try to imagine some of the lines not there, I don't think it would be this good. This pear is filled with energy, and it was the first of three editions.


I love the shape of my pear, and wanted to paint one to use in class, and the one below is what I did. This one is a bit more realistic in shape and colors, but still I love the first one the most.


The last one I did was for the SOC challenge, one of three pieces this week. I used pastel sticks to make this and I was pretty rough laying the colors down. I wanted it to look very expressive and loose in style. I really like this one as well. Isn't is fun to see how different they all can be with different ways of making them, I hope I'll never stop wondering, and asking what if..........


This post has to come to an end, and I'll end it by showing you the next spread in my booklet. My paintings and drawings side by side with the little verses/poems.


I'll link this post to Paint Party Friday, and if you are not familiar to that party I recommend you to visit and take part.
I wish you all the most beautiful weekend in every sense of the word.

22 comments:

  1. Your fruit and veggies are fantastic! Happy PPF, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful art! You are doing great line work, and they all look very alive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness these are gorgeous! I love the first fun pear so much! Your work is always gorgeous but I feel this is a new style for you! The more realistic pear has so much personality I almost feel like it's laughing at us! Really incredible! The third one is fun too! All your work is fabulous my friend! Such an enjoyable post!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic.I love the green pear and the spread in your booklet is awesome.The veggies look almost real.Great job and happy PPF.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy you are really working it! What a great idea with your little book!! That's a great source of inspiration (as well as Tracey.. oh she is so talented!) And your work is really super too - love your shading!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love seeing the different versions. Great exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love ur spread......very very pretty...ps.those tomatoes look so edible ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, beautiful line work and colours, it's so inspiring, I would love to be able to draw like you do.

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  9. So interesting to see what a big difference using different colours and linework can give! I like the linework in the first pear, but the second pear is my favorite. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great fruits and veggies here, beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, this is awesome! Keep it up, you are good on this. Yes, I do love Tracey's drawings too. So nice that she now teach how to draw. I too love the lilac pears you have painted.
    Glemte å skrive på norsk.. begynte på engelsk og tenkte why not ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Tracey's drawings as well. You are a great student. You have the same style as Tracey or have caught on quickly how to do sketches like she does. I love the pears and all the paintings/illustrations shown here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are creating amazing results from this class. Obviously Tracey is an excellent teacher as well as a fabulous illustrator. Love your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you are doing well - love the veggies and your line work is terrific. Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice drawings! And I love the way you played with the colors ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely! I like all three of them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all your veggie play. And what a great idea just to play with all colors and not worry about results. Was it hard to just let go and do that?

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely veggie work.great practice! thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love this new style you're doing. I'm a big fan of black lines and yours seem to make your paintings pop right off the page. Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think your drawings are great. You are right, you tend to get looser the more times you do the same object. I love your very liney pear with so much energy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful artwork and i loved seeing your journal page at the end... i love all your pears! xx

    ReplyDelete