Tuesday, April 15, 2014

From nothing to wall.

I have been working on black paper

and combinations with black paper lately. There is a lot to discover and I find it very interesting. I don't know why I have not thought of using my twinks on a real canvas, but I did that some days ago. The canvas was an old one that has been painted on several times, acrylic painting. So, I gessoed it black and wondered if that would give any results with the twinks.


As you see above, I drew a pretty simple subject since this was meant to be an experiment. I drew a sketch on paper and transfered it to my canvas using white pan pastels on the back of my sketch.

All the texture in the canvas were there from earlier use and I thought it may add to my painting. What I discovered was that my paint withdraw from certain areas, and instead of reworking I just let it be. Below is the final result.


I did use my beloved neocolors 2 on top of the twinks in the background. It can be too much shimmer, so I like to reduce it by using some matte mediums. That may be neocolors, colored pencils, regular watercolors or pan pastels. It worked out well, and the best part was that it didn't curl up as my black paper. All I did was to varnish it in the end.


Since I had a nail in my diningroom wall, I tried to hang it to look at it for awhile and it's not bad at all.
The cast shadow even made it look like the vase is sitting at a tiny table. Pure luck.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! This is really a gorgeous painting. I love the texture too. Super pretty on your wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful and love your process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you shadowed the vase on the table, it is 2 distinctly different pieces. This is extraordinary to me how that came about. I miss the tulips in my life. . . but not moving back north. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete