Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Last tour through old NY.

These are the last three cards from old New York.

Good morning everyone.

First today is New Cunard Building. This card has no printed text so I don't know anything about it. Looks like a nice building though. And so it is,I read in this article. Wow, I think I'd like to visit that building.



Next image shows: Hotel Pennsylvania.
The old buildings looks so great, look at the ground level. Nothing like this is built today. That doesen't mean I don't like todays buildings, it's just that the details were much more focused back then. Today it's concrete and glass all over.
Listen to the printed text:" Hotel Pennsylvania at 33rd Street and 7th Avenue, opposite the Pennsylvania Railroad depot, with which it will be connected by an underground passageway. The first section on 7th Avenue, 20 stories high will contain 1.000 bedrooms with bath and shower."
Bath and shower back then, it's amazing. 40 years later we had our shower installed too.



Last card shows: Flat iron building Broadway and fifth Avenue.
This is not an unfamiliare way of building houses. I believe each city that have some of the old quarters left have at least one building of this kind, but the size may differ.
The printed text says:"Fuller Building, generally known as the Flat Iron building stands at the intersection of Broadway and Fifth Avenue facing 23rd Street. Was the first steel frame sky scraper built in the world. It is 300 feet high and contains 120,000 square feet of floor space above ground and 13,340 square feet under the sidewalk.
You can see a lot more photos and read about this building in this article.




I,ve had a lot to learn from this writing and I've enjoyed it. I hope you have learnt something too.
Have a nice day everyone and take care.

1 comment:

  1. Your postcard tour of NYC has been fun. I especially like the Flat Iron building....I've seen it in so many movies and TV programs.

    ReplyDelete