Wednesday, August 3, 2011

New York between 1910 - 1920

I have 19 images to show you.

Todays cards are not specific buildings but more like still-life pictures from the city. I really love these cards and wanted to share them with you all. I'm planing to publish a new post once a week.
The cards came into my posession in an auction were I baught a so called blind-box. I've got a lot of things that way. I would love to hear from you if there's anything recognizable, houses still there and so on.

The first card shows: Fifth avenue and 42nd street.
On the back side of the card there is a printed text reading: "Busiest crossing in the city, where traffic is heavy at all hours of the day and night. It is only a short distance to the Grand Central Station and right in the heart of the hotel and theatre district. The Public Library stands at the intersection of the two streets."

This specific card is not dated in any way but some of them are and I assume they are made in the same periode of time.



The next card is showing: Broadway and 33rd Street.
There is no printed text on this one so I can't tell you any more about it. The sign on the left hand building is reading: Wilson building. The corner house on the right hand side has a sign reading: SAMS or SAKS

Look at the flying flags, isn't it a beautiful image?



The last card today shows: Sunday Morning on 5th Ave.

It has no text at the reverse so I can't tell you anything.
The yellow "bus" has a sign reading: SEVENTH to FIFTH AV.
This is such a nice picture too and look at the sunrise in the background.



That was todays post, I hope you enjoyed a journey back in time.
Wish you all the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment