Friday, January 29, 2016

How are your New year's resolutions going?

Still keeping them and doing fine?

For many years I had lots of plans on how to improve things in my life, and just as sure as January were gone, so were my resolutions. I guess, like most  people, I set unrealistic goals and always had big plans on things I really didn't want to do anything about. That's the nature of such goals, isn't it? To make the story short, I stopped making them.


I am not especially good at taking things slow, step by step. Normally I love to jump right in and just do. Life has learned me that most times I come out of things standing on my feet, and if I didn't, at least I made an attempt.  All of this has made me not being afraid of trying new things, which is a good thing, in my opinion.
This year I decided to have another go. I need to get out and improve my fitness. Our local authorities have created a group for people like me. We meet every Monday morning, follow a trail (mostly up hill) and walking as many rounds as we can in half an hour. After that we do some sort of workout. We have this beautiful city wood, and included is a very fun balance trail and a group of exercise machines. I am still doing it, and I'm sure I'll continue. Once a week is easy to overcome, and when spring arrives I might even use my bike in addition. So to conclude, I'm still keeping it up.


My art today is showing a painted sketch (upper one ) and the final piece. By painting the sketch I saw that my composition needed to be improved, so that's what I did. This was an exercise in using two sets of complementary colors.

I'm linking to Paint Party Friday, have a good weekend!

28 comments:

  1. Love your sunflower painting in both variations. I never make resolutions, my only motto is to just keep on going. happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow the blue color in the background very striking and bright. Love your sunflowers, well done! Happy Friday! Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colour combo uses very well, I think. Your flowers look beautiful. It's inspiring to have goals and challeges, isn't it.
    Happy PPF ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous painting and I love how the light shines off the red pot! The colours are beautiful and vibrant!! Good for you keeping up on the changes... best not to make goals I guess...too much pressure where as going with the flow and making a conscious choice gives us a better chance to continue on!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see you beautiful sunflowers !
    Happy weekend Laila!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the colours are awesome... and love your energetic lines... we have been doing the getting out and about and walking and even doing some hikes... amazing the difference it makes to clearing your head... of course it is sweltering hot and we are then forced to flop in the pool so we don't melt... but fun all the same...xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on keeping up with improving your fitness! I love the strong colours in your piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both your sketch and your finished piece are terrific, the red pot really glows and the blue background sets off the other colours so well. Sunflowers and leaves are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to be more active, so I admire your perseverance with the exercise routine. I love your bright sunflowers. Happy PPF! #43

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for you!!! Hope you have continued success in your new year. Love the colors in your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your work, I've never heard of using 2 sets of complementary colours thanks for the lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your sunflowers! I'm always attracted to paintings with big, bright, bold colors!! Happy PPF.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the colors are brilliant and i do love both versions of the flowers. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job as January draws to a close!
    Your sunflowers look wonderful...so beautiful and vibrant.
    Happy PPF
    oxo Patty #47

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, beautiful & happy work!!!

    Smiles, Saskia :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both of the paintings are so beautiful. I love the way the ink brings out the details of the petals and leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The sunflowers look beautiful in both the photos. I never make resolutions but I do try to think about things I'd like to accomplish in the coming year. I know that if I set it down as a resolution I'll quit! And good for you for joining the walking group. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  18. really beautiful! I adore! I love the warmth of the flowers with the bold blue. so lovely! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such vibrant sunflowers are a pure delight to see on such a wintery day. We've had Storm Gertrude whipping around us all day. Dark wet and windy, so your art has brightened the day perfectly.
    I love that pot with it's highlights and shading.
    Nah no resolutions for me because I never tend keep them.
    Happy PPF to you

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE! I have van Gogh reproduction hanging on my wall right here--and your pic would look lovely in this room of my house too. So pretty. xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. Happy PPF - Irma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on the exercise consistency. I need to get back in the swing of walking but the cold and then mud and then snow and then mud and then cold...anyhow, it is not making it easy for me. And your flowers are so warm and sunny and remind me of late summer. Very very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sunflowers are my favorites and they look gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really love the sunflower and the red pot.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your use of color is so beautiful! I think staying active is a great goal, both in art and in life!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Both pieces look great, love the bold colours. I used to make lots of unrealistic goals and resolutions and expecting too much, so this year, I try to let go of that and be more realistic, and most of all, work on my goals. It's so encouraging when you actually achieve something. Your fitness group sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't make resolutions at all. So, I never abandon them :)

    I like both versions of the vase and the sunflowers. Beautiful!

    Thanks for visiting my blog and for the lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really like both of the painting variations! They are beautiful!! As to resolutions, I don't make them. I do pick a theme for the year and that has served me very well. It's more general and allows me to adjust. xoxo Silke

    ReplyDelete