Sunday, December 1, 2013

Don't throw away your leftovers.

I did something the other day,


and I want to share the idea with you all. I don't know about you, but when I paint I always keep a sheet of paper to try out my mixed paint before adding it to my painting. Many, many times I've seen some beautiful combinations of color and some great "designs" in these sheets. Now I got the idea to put them to "use". I have this little cutting tool, squared, and I remove the bottom lid to be able to see excactly what I cut. My squares are sized 3.5 by 3.5 cms. and when cut, they actually look like small art pieces. I could have added some details to them, but I want them clean so that the inspiration comes from the colors only.


If I find there are too many white spots on them I'll use the leftover paint on my brush to add in, instead of washing it out in the water. I have glued mine down in my sketchbook, but they can be used in many different ways. As small reminders to a friend, to decorate a postcard or as pure inspiration as I did. And I'm sure there are many more ways to use them too.



I made three rows, so in these two pics you see the same row twice. My nine squares are mostly done using twinks, and they are so pretty. I'm that kind of person that get inspired from colors, so to look at these beauties most often result in new ideas. Also it's possible to discover new color combos this way. I never think of any of this while painting, it just happens and then it's fun to look for the best squares later on. I'm sure I will start a new journal for these squares only, what a beautiful journal that will be when filled.

Just a little idea from me to you.


One day later I found my quote journal and I've written on right pages only. Just as if I was waiting for this idea to show up. Now, my squares are glued in there. Yay! This gives me a lot of inspiration in one journal, both quotes and lovely colors.



Each left side in my journal has room for six pieces, and they are stunning to look at. Below is my latest page, don't they look great? I even held back from painting in all the white and it's just so amazing. My journal has a pocket in it so I save my squares in there until I find it's time to play again.


Oh how fun this is, I can already feel the joy of filling in my journal with these little bits of "leftovers". Amazing to see, can be useful and pure joy when doing it. Can a girl wish for more?

4 comments:

  1. This is a great idea I'm definitely going to give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laila, this is "3yr55" (Karen) from the Twinks II online class. The work you're showing in the online classroom is so inspiring that I just had to look up your blog. Now that I'm here and reading this post from Dec, 1, 2013, I'd like to ask a question: would you please share more about the square cutting tool? How does it actually work? Is it easier than using an x-acto knife and straight edge? What is the name of the manufacturer?
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, thanks for stopping by. The only thing written on my tool is EK success. It works excactly the same way as when punching holes. Every craft store sell them. I think they are much used by card makers. I have several tools with different shapes, one with the shape of a tag which I often use for gifts and such. Next on my wishlist is a circle. I hope this helped, otherwise you could send me your e-mail and I'll e-mail you some photos of the tool.

      Delete
  3. Oh, that helped. I found the EK brand on Amazon, where it looks like there are a variety of shapes and sizes! Your idea of modifying the tool to allow you to see through is what entices me most, so that one can adjust the framing before punch-cutting. Thanks for sharing! -Karen

    ReplyDelete